Sunday, September 12, 2010

My big secret REVEALED!!!

Initially, the concept of this blog was to be in interview format. I wanted to talk to real people whose hairstyles I find interesting yet professional looking, and find out what some of their secrets are and blog about it! But being that this was going to be about hair, it got personal for me.


So many of you are rocking all kinds of styles from natural to extensions and everything in between! If you're anything like me, you change hairstyles and/or hair color seasonally. For me this is in part due to weather and activities, which can be a major factor when choosing a style. Over the years I have narrowed it down to a select few styles that I have found to be flattering to my face shape, body shape and lifestyle. Still as new styles come about, or I see things I'd like to try, I get curious. 


Truthfully, my own curiosity about how to create and maintain hairstyles actually comes from my big secret. I heard it somewhere before that we are only as sick as our secrets.  
I have Trichotillomania or TTM.  There, I said it! (SIGH!)  


TTM is an impulse control disorder to pull out one's hair resulting in a bald patch at the pulling site(s). That said, I have recently decided to include my experience with TTM in my blog since it is such a major part of how I consider hairstyles that work for me, for awareness, and in hopes that it may help someone else who may desire the courage to seek treatment and support.  


National Trichotillomania Awareness week is October 1-7, 2010. 


For more information on TTM and to find ways you can get involved, please visit the following links: 
http://www.trich.org/involved/ntaw.html 
http://westsuffolkpsych.homestead.com/trich_cbt.html 









No comments:

Post a Comment